TAXBEN - TAX/BENEFIT SYSTEMS AND GROWTH POTENTIAL OF THE EU
Commissioner László Kovács from DG Taxud speaking at the TAXBEN conference at CEPS
Issues concerning tax/benefit systems are currently at the heart of economic and social policy making and discussions in the European Union. TAXBEN has attempted to improve our understanding of the functioning and the need for reform of the tax/benefit systems in the EU and to provide policy options to improve the potential growth of the EU. The initiative has involved the participation of seven research institutes across the EU25 and was funded by the European Commission under the Sixth Framework Programme since 2004.
Five areas are at the focus of the analysis:
1. The link between tax/benefit systems and employment in the EU
2. The EU tax systems under tax competition and enlargement
3. The growth potential of the EU and its relation to the tax/benefit systems
4. The macroeconomic role of tax systems in promoting reforms in tax systems in the EU under the single monetary policy
5. Attainment of sustainable growth in the EU with a high quality of the environment and the role of green taxes and emission trading in the energy sector.